Sunday, March 19, 2006

Road Blocks

Where I always run into road blocks are game mechanics. I can't focus. I have too many ideas.

I want a simple system for the GM to set Difficulty & a simple system for the Player to check for success. But I also want a cross between Castle Falkenstein's Skill System & Over the Edge's Dice Mechanic. And then there are the other ideas.

On one hand I want say a Default of 10 (with no limit) in Skill. The GM then sets Difficluty by the amount of Dice the Player rolls:
1D Simple
2D Easy
3D Average
4D Challenging
5D Hard
6D Difficult
7D S.O.L.

On the other hand you could have Skills Default to 2d & then the better you are, the more dice you roll. Difficulty on the Dice could be Standard of 4 OR the GM could set the number.

Then there is the lighter rules method.

Skills Default to 1D10, if you have a Skill the first level in it gives you 2D10, basically you & the GM or other player could simply dice off, with the high roll winning. However, additional Skill levels grant 1 automatic success either per scene or session.

So if I the Guns skill at level 5, it would look like this:
Guns (2d/4), I would roll 2d10 whenver I used it AND 4 times in a set period could automatically succeed

More later.

MC

No comments: