Tuesday, May 29, 2007

D&D Saga Edition

Updated: 6/10/07

Well Star Wars Saga is better, yes BETTER than I expected.

As it stands, I was somehow expecting something more akin to D20 Modern...and its just not.
Talent Trees can simply represent Classes. And the Force can easily, EASILY be stretched into a Spell System. So at this point I think I'd just rename Soldier to Fighter, Scoundrel to Rogue, Noble would probably stay the same, as would Scout, rename Jedi to Spellcaster. If I wanted to import anything I'd just build a Talent Tree for it & either make it open to all classes or attach it to a specific class. The cool part is that Soldier, Scoundrel, Scout, Noble & Jedi/Spellcaster WORK for Thundarr. The hardest thing I have to decide between is if the character that wants to make a Shaman ala Marshall Bravestarr requires a Talent Tree based off of Wild Shape + Wild Feats or simply using the Beast Class Features as Talent Trees.

I'm not abandoning this project, I'm just basking in the coolness of Saga D20!

************************************************************

I'm not finished with this document just yet, but I should have it wrapped up in the next week or so.

The high points:

-Using the Saga Skill System (X number of Skills + Int Mod). You can select any Skill to be Trained in, but can only gain Skill Focus in Class Skills. Using Saga's Skill List but trading Use the Force with Use Magic

-Using Saga's Defense Saves of +1/Level & have added a +2 at level 1 for a Good Save & +1 at first level for an Average Save.

-Talents vs Class features--I'd been going round & round on this & have finally decided to convert Class Features to Talent Trees. So I'll have Warrior Class(D10HD+Fast BAB) with Fighter, Paladin, Ranger Talent Trees; Rogue Class(D6HD with Medium BAB) with Bard, Thief (rogue), Beguiler Talent Trees. Priest Class(D8HD with medium BAB) with Cleric, Healer, Druid Talent Trees. Magic-User Class(D4HD with Slow BAB) with Warlock, Wizard, Sorcerer Talent Trees. Battle-Hardend Class(D12HD with Fast BAB) with Barbarian & Knight Talent Trees.Basically each Talent in a Tree corresponds to the Class Features you can gain for an entire level. For say a Wizard taking a Spellcasting Talent equals what benefits you would get at say levels 1 & 2 or levels 3 & 4. This is still fairly rough, since my setting doesn't require alot of Talent Trees. Its Thundarr.

-Magic is the area I"m still working out, I basically had thought of stealing the Swordsage's Maneuver Progression, but with the caveat thaty a Spellcaster can use spells more than once per encounter. I also looked at using Recharge Magic from UA or on importing the Spellpoints per Encounter & metamagic feats from Spellbound: Channeller. I'm settling on using a Magic-User Class, with the Warlock Talent Tree for now. Since I'm using the Thundarr setting, I don't have Divine Magic, but it could work out pretty easily.
I'm not planning on using the Triple HD at 1st level, but am using the Damage Track. I haven't decided if I want to add 1/2 Level to Damage.

Hopefully I'll have this finalized by 6/7/07.

No comments: